I could try to get into specifics, but others such as Zerohedge and The Market Ticker do a much better job. I could try to come up with a theme that describes the participants, but I'd be hard pressed to top the picture of McCain as Gollum that Mike posted this afternoon.
|Senator John "Gollum" McCain, Apostate of Liberty|
- McCain thinks he's paying an insult to the Tea Party to call them Hobbits. He's actually paying them a high compliment. The Hobbits didn't understand all the goings on of the big folk in the far country and only wanted to be left to tend their fields, drink their ale, and smoke their weed (see Purple Haze). However, when the time came, they performed with as much valor as any. Who can forget Sam? Merry stabbing the leader of The Nine? Would Faramir have survived without Pippin? Frodo understood that the ring had to be destroyed. Not hidden. Not damaged. Not tarnished. Not smashed with an ax. Not given to another trustworthy person who would only become a Sauron-substitute. Destroyed. I'd like to think that the Tea Party Hobbits understand just enough to know that business cannot continue as is.
- If McCain doesn't like what "The Hobbits" are saying, then perhaps he should consider that the markets are saying essentially the same thing. The BS has to stop, the cuts have to be frontloaded, and the budget must be brought under control. It cannot continue.
- The image of McCain as Gollum is a spot on as well. Actually it's more like a reverse 360, two-handed, backboard shattering, game-winning, richter scale shattering, epic slam-dunk for the ages. If you'll remember your Tolkien, Gollum was once a simple hobbit-ish person named Smeagol. His sad tale is that he went fishing with his friend Deagol on his birthday. Deagol fell in, but came up with a ring he found. Smeagol wanted the ring for himself. (It is the Hobbits' custom that you give others presents on your birthday-not receive them.) Deagol had already given Smeagol his birthday present, but Smeagol strove with him. Then fought with him, then murdered him. He would not be denied that thing which he so desired-no matter the cost. (Kind of like McCain's undying desire to be the GOP nominee for President, huh?) And so the ring of power tormented Smeagol and perverted his walk, his talk, and his appetites. The ring also gave him unnatural long life and a new name. Gollum. Kind of like McCain's long decades in Washington. To fast forward a little, Gollum is eventually brought to heel by Frodo and Sam in the rocks of Emyn Muil. He then makes a promise to do whatever Frodo wants-to guide him to Mordor. (Why look there, Smeagol is running with some of those Tea Party Hobbits, Sam and Frodo.) Along the way, Frodo tries to show some kindness to Gollum-to make him remember that he is still Smeagol. Frodo holds this hope out for Gollum because if Gollum can't recover, then Frodo himself might not be able to recover either. Along the way, many have tried to remind McCain of his conservative past and encourage him to do the right thing. And mostly in vain. As Sam says, "There's nought in him but lies and deceit. He'll throttle us in our sleep." And along the way, Gollum betrays Frodo more than once trying to get the ring. Say, that betrayal sounds pretty familiar of McCain, huh? At the very end, Gollum fights with Frodo for the ring and achieves both victory and defeat. Finally reunited with the only thing in the entire world he cares about, the ring, Gollum blissfully falls into the fires of Mount Doom. (Apparently, he was totally unaware of the LIQUID HOT MAG-MA temperature rising onto his back.) Gollum dies and so does the ring. My fondest wish for McCain is that figuratively, his political career will likewise fall into the fires of Mount Doom and be similarly finished for all eternity. Unfortunately, I think America might literally make it there first.
- I love this line: Democrats openly mocked Boehner’s inability to lead his caucus.Uh...Newsflash, Boehner's caucus is not the Hobbits. Boehner could have saved himself some embarrassment by paying attention to last fall's election results when he took the gavel from Nazi Pelosi. Rather than leading the people he has, he's treating them as if they are all just like him. This is a teachable moment for all who would call themselves leaders. Sometimes, you get who you get. Period. You have to deal with them as they are, not as you'd like them to be. If you want to change them, you'll have to...you know...LEAD them. A good leader should check behind him to make sure that his people are ...you know...following. Oops! And if you can't deal with them as they are, then you may need to follow rather than lead.
- The forces of Sauron are loving this theater from Capitol Hill. The plan has always been to blame the GOP leadership. Always. Thanks to Boehner, they're getting their wish.
- The Mouth of Sauron as the Mainstream Press? Awesome.
That's the truth, truth
- Those who hate the USA are also loving this because they think the demise of the USA will be great news for them. When the US does the Nestea plunge into the pool though-or Gollum's fall, the trunami (no that's not a typoo) will be like nothing the world has seen in an age. That's the truth, truth.
- The Hobbits do win. And at Aragorn's coronation, they meet him and intend to bow. Aragorn stops them. "My friends. You bow to no one." I'm liking this comparison more and more. Because I have no intention of bowing my head towards any of the big folk in far away lands who think it is their birthright to be my master.
I know a knockout when I see one.
There's only one real breakdown here. Unlike Middle Earth, where the Hobbits had a few allies among the Big Folk, we seem to be alone. It seems to be just us Hobbits, just a few Lilliputians on one side versus all of the big folk on the other. Especially if you consider the return of the 4 Hobbits to The Shire as Tolkien originally wrote it.